Sunday, May 6, 2012

Margaret Loves a Wallpaper Challenge

Margaret Loves threw down a challenge to create a scene inspired by a random (or not your style) scrapbook paper. Here goes. My kids picked out these papers, and I tried to find a way to bring both together. I split the room into thirds; hers, his and shared in the middle. I was able to add a lot of gifts and items I haven't quite found a home for yet.
Deets: Pile of pillows, bunk bed and linens - minimodernistas. Ms. Pac Man arcade game - Retro Heart. Bicycle is swap gift from TinyFixation. Bubble Chair gift from ModPodMiniatures. Purple and green poufs are swap from Pepper. Shelves, dresser, chair - ebay seller Mini dream world. Books - ELF Miniatures. Clock - LiluShop. Lamps, side table, desk, stool, waste basket, plates - AG Minis, Lil' Bratz, Re-Ment and Might World. Mini video DS and PSP video games - Miss Flynn. Lego car on desk built by my 5 yr old. 1, 2, 3 art are bookmarks from CB2 with ends cut off, put in magnetic frame from CB2 by me. Red dog card holder from CB2 (copied from Modern MC), red robot is key cover from CB2 as well. Cardboard playhouse made by me from TinyFixation swap supplies. Can't remember the brand name of the animals and eraser heads, I picked them up from a local mom and pop shop before it went out business :( Mini table and chairs in playhouse are Paul MacAlister (I finally found a use for!)


After seeing StudioSeven's post, I remembered I had the same Reac set, so I took some new pictures with the elephants. And added AG Minis diner benches (gift from Modern MC) and table base from IKEA table to make another seating section/play area. I'll probably remember something else I have buried for a kids room, so more photos might surface.

Jazzi has been been keeping tabs and posting great wrap ups on the wallpaper challenge and the magazine challenge. If you haven't noticed by now, I'm a total hoarder. I hoard as many challenge photos as I can find, as I like to have your blogs at my fingertips to easily spy on be inspired by. :P But seriously, I built a page to showcase the mini challenges. If you'd like to join one, take a look and join the fun. modernminihouses.blogspot.com/p/mini-challenges.html
Please send me entries I've missed. modernminifan (at) gmail.com

18 comments:

  1. Well done! I like the 3 different areas. So glad you finally joined in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it takes longer than expected, but I'm working hard to not pull and Emily on things I agree to do. :P It was fun. I hope more people join the challenge. I think it's an interesting challenge to let someone else pick the inspiration or use something out of your comfort zone. Good challenge Margaret! Now let's think of some more!

      Delete
  2. OMG - I so want THAT room, if I were a kid again I'd never leave it! I loved Ms. Pacman when I was younger (still do - heh heh) I played it in every bowling alley, pizza place, and mall arcade I walked past. The lure was overwhelming, I was drawn right in! For hours and hours and hours.

    Cheers on a wonderful piece!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie!! Me too! Ms. Pac-Man was the only video game I ever really got in to. We used to save our money as kids and go to the nickel arcade and I would play it for hours. My brother would make fun of me because I never went for the high score, I just wanted to get to the next level. I always get annoyed when the joystick is sticky or non-responsive. And I too still play it. The best philly cheesesteak place in town has Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga. Everytime we go the kids (okay I) play a game or two.

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh, yes, getting to that next level! I used to want to see what the next fruit would be? You know, the one that would pop up random in the middle, that if Ms. Pacman ate it she got extra points? ha ha! Good times, good times. :)

      hugs,
      Jackie

      Delete
  3. Very cute! I love the little critters at the dining table waiting to be served!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If I could have had my dream room as a kid, it would have these 50's diner booths. Plus a soda fountain with milk shakes. That wouldst have been heaven. :D

      Delete
  4. ce que j'aime particulièrement, c'est le fauteuil suspendu !
    Un joli décor.
    Minima

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! this is the coolest kids room ever! Any kid would kill for this room! The play house is such a great idea. Did you make it? I also played Ms. Pac Man...and Frogger. They were the only ones I got into and still do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I originally used a large table and covered with a "sheet" to make the fort, but the fabric wouldn't hang right, so I opted to use some sturdy cardboard from Meagan to make the fort instead. We had a cardboard box fort in our livingroom for about 6 months before the kids demolished it. Hopefully this fort will last longer. :P

      Delete
  6. I can't get over the pac man arcade cabinet! Awesome! Such a fun scene! I love all the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember if its the same guy that Modern MC blogged about (as there are a couple of people that make these) but he also makes just about every old school arcade game. They are pretty cool. :D

      Delete
  7. this is a very very cool room! I love every detail including the diner bank in one shoot. The house you made is sooooooo!
    Neomi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neomi! The fort turned out much better than I expected. I'll try to find another use for it when this turns back into an adult room.

      Delete
  8. This room is great! I like the cardboard house you made. I want those bunk beds from MiniModernistas too. Your children have good taste, man. fruit...tree...not far from and yada yada. Smiles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. The playhouse is pretty sweet. Doris' bunkbeds are the coolest. I wish I could find those IRL for my kids. Hopfully the youngins will catch the bug. We should plan a meet up soon. :)

      Delete
  9. *Salivates over Ms. Pac-Man* A job well done, so much to do in this fine room, where does a begin. I'm glad you decided to participate in this challenge. You've now encouraged me not to give up on the magazine challenge...I'm still looking for an inspiration photo.

    One of your special talents: You can write a round-up post/page like no one else. Your talent is our gain, so thanks again!

    Oh, I love how you put the specialty paperclips behind the small picture frame...you innovator, you.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message after the... BEEEEEEEEEP.